Need your help achieving my dream
Posted by Meg Bear on October 29, 2009
Yes, I know this is totally out of my league, and yet I also know that this is something that will be life changing for me and overall a good idea.
Here is the why something like TED is a uniquely good idea for me
- I love looking at things in a new way — most things I’ve seen recently that have really gotten me thinking have been from TED
- I love the energy and thinking I do at conferences. There is something in the process that really works for me. I get most all my big ideas at conferences and it’s almost always the sum of a lot of little inputs vs. just one talk or presentation or person
- I love learning new stuff — I really thrive on gathering new ideas, facts, etc
- I use what I learn in action-oriented, creative ways. I make connections others don’t and use those connections to do something specific, concrete and useful.
- I share what I learn. I blog it, I talk about it I send emails that simultaneously blow peoples minds and bore them to tears.
Sure, all the above bullets probably cement my brand as a geek but I’m no longer in middle school and I think being a geek is cool.
Here’s what I’m not
Particularly well connected in a way that would get me to TED and I’m also not the best essay writer.
Here’s what I’ve done.
- Joined the Online Community
- Started following the TED twitter accounts here and here
- Subscribed to the blog
- Printed out the application and freaked out
- Targeted the TedActive conference since a) it’s still open for 2010 registration and b) I suspect it’s a little more open to “unknowns”
Here’s what I need
- Some good suggestions on how to best “stand out” with the questions below
- Ideas on things I could do in addition to the list above
- Someone(s) to review my profile and give me ideas to make it better, especially looking for things I’ve left off
- An idea on how to pick references (I need two). What kind of references would appeal to the people deciding Ted attendance?
Here is the application questions (remember I want suggestions that are true about me, I’m not looking for textbook perfect answers or anything just better ways to describe me)
- If a friend were to describe your accomplishments in up to three sentences what would s/he say?
- What other achievements would you like to share?
- What are you passionate about (work, creative output, issues, communities…)
- What do we need to know about you that we didn’t ask?
- (Optional) Can you share a memorable anecdote from your life that will give us a further sense of what makes you tick?
Thanks in advance for helping with Team Meg! Direct email responses are also welcome.